This is a recipe my friend Betta kept on asking for; at least by following this she will not use the commercial muffing mix, which contains hydrogenated fats, here it goes:
- 1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp best quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tsp McCormik pure vanilla extract
Heat the oven to 200’C.
Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug.
Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins.
Spoon into the prepared muffin cases using (if you have it) an Ice Cream scoop; this will yield the exact amount for a muffin case.
Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and then bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy